Sunday 1 June 2014

The Channel V Rock Concert.




(11 May ‘09)
            We got an invitation to attend the Concert for Change (Be the Change You Want to See) at the big Andheri Sports Complex, and I said yes-yes-yes, because at our/my age you/we don’t get to attend such events, forget invites, and Kailash Kher was going to sing. I like music, but never know who has sung/written/invented/created a song. In Kailash Kher’s case, I was six feet away from him when he sang at a private dinner. What was I doing there? Yea, am still wondering. All four feet of him burst into full volume on the first note. The curly, shoulder length locks were tossed this side and that. And the room echoed with clear tone, super singing. There was no orchestra, just a keyboard accompanist and I thought this concert was a bigger version of that scene. How naïve could I have been.
            When we reached at five, the sun was still up and the program had begun. The large stage with the fancy red, purple and silver lights, the large screen at the back and the small one at the side had come alive. The crowd wasn’t more than two hundred, which meant ‘but a handful’ considering this was a stadium. Our VIP enclosure had less than 50 persons, mostly parents of participants, I guessed. We had to stand. I took my place where I could lean against something, expecting that ‘the crowd’ was yet to arrive. I needn’t have bothered. By sundown, it had ‘swelled’ to triple that number, not much again, considering the size of the venue and the advertisements.
            The competition was between weirdly dressed men (and a woman) making shrieking sounds. I kept reminding myself that I must have an open mind to modern music, that when I went to Malawli (the Indian version of Woodstock) decades ago, my parents thought the same of the guitar-wielding, pony-tailed, bell-bottomed ‘hippies’ and their music. But no, shrieks are shrieks in any era. These were wordless ones. The noises that came from the mike had no words. I concentrated really hard, so I know that.
             The compere, VJ Juhi, through whom we’d been invited, was good enough for me to watch. My eternal favourite, Lolla Kutty, made my evening. Her shiny blue sari, her glasses, her flower-bedecked hair and her wonderful Malloo accent kept me happy for a while. I learnt that her real name was Anu Menon. That was the only thing I learnt that evening.
            By 8, I was hungry in spite of the fact that, after coming home an hour earlier than usual from work, I’d had a proper dinner of missal-pao and lassi before leaving for the concert. Why do I keep calling it concert? Cacophony meet would be more like it.
            We went to sit on the deserted stands. It felt breezy, detached, and comfortable. The single soft-drink stall below us attracted the young crowd constantly. The comperes kept reminding us of how we must ‘be the change we want to see’, about exercising our rights, the RTI act, voting, etc. Not a word about our responsibilities, about not littering the area with plastic bottles, discarded Channel V pamphlets, wrappings, spitting, and more. Certainly not a word about noise pollution.
            Bhappi Lahiri, in his gold chains and glittering coat, his enormous bulk and voice to match, held our attention somewhat. It was past 9:30 when Kailash Kher came on-stage. I wanted to hear Allah ke Bandhe. He disappointed me. He was in the mood to promote his album-to-be and sang songs I hadn’t heard and now don’t want to, ever. Disappointed. 10 was mikes-out time and the show was over.
Did I not enjoy it at all? I carried home one exciting memory: that of a tall cameraman toting his heavy tool like an AK-47, squinting on 2 sq inches of screen to check where his lens was aimed, concentrating on the artists’ ears, elbows, necks, nostrils…followed by a short, plump flunky whose job was to jog behind him, making sure he didn’t trip on the wires or fall over the edge of the stage. Their moves were quick, fascinating. Equally smooth and graceful was the big crane, again part of the visual team, that swung fast and ever so gracefully over the crowd, making the couple of hundred arms and heads appear like there were 1000s as the newspaper headlines said the next day.
Yes, it was a novel evening, though I wonder whether I would go to such an event again. Free, maybe; with priced tickets, never. 
@@@@@

No comments:

Post a Comment