Saturday 31 May 2014

The Ethics Committee Workshop.




(3 May ’09)
            When I agreed to be on an ethics committee as a lay person, I hadn’t a clue what it was going to entail. I was told I needed to read the consent form for patients (this was a medical ethics committee). If I understood what was written, they were sure anyone could. (Advantages of having a low IQ, I thought to myself, get to be on a committee and all!!). Sounded easy.
Wasn’t.
 For a couple of times I sat uncharacteristically, perfectly silent through the meetings because I couldn’t understand a word of what was being heatedly discussed. Later I came to know that this was amongst the most debate-filled committees in the city. Advantage mine. Over a period of time, I added words to my vocabulary: placebo, randomized study, double-blinded, unblinding, multi-centre, exclusion criteria. I learnt to improve my diction by saying pharmacogenetics and epidemiological.
            The consent form that I was supposed to read came with 10-40 attached pages of Greek-Latin-Japanese-Eskimo-Sanskrit sounding words, quite unpronounceable and certainly impossible to spell on one’s own: drug names. Drugs means medicines in this context. I worked hard at understanding what ‘this’ was all about.
‘This’ means clinical trials. They were/are happening all over the country, involving multi-national pharmaceuticals. Since India needs to protect its own, there are (really good) guidelines and protocols to follow, chalked out by the ICMR. The Ethics Committees, which comprise a mix of medical, pharma-, legal and lay persons, ensure that the participants aren’t subjected to unsafe practices or unnecessary risks. It’s not a question of gut-feeling, intuition, “I think this is wrong” but clear scientific reasoning, calculated risk-taking, logical steps involved. Hence the tomes to read before one can give ‘informed consent’.
No doubt there are loopholes that crooked people will use, but it’s heartening to note that there are several seriously concerned persons (amongst doctors and others) who want to protect the interests of participants and are doing something about it.
There were obviously other lay persons on other such committees who were as lost as I was, so Dr. Urmila Thatte of KEM hospital Mumbai and her team decided there should be training for them. I had acquired just enough knowledge to be kicked up from the chair to the stage side and was on the Faculty (sounds great, but involved days of hard work making a presentation). The topics covered what bio-medical research was, evolution of research ethics, components of a research protocol, compensation issues and my baby: the informed consent process.
Occasionally, the attendees threw up questions. One diamond-stud wearing ‘social worker’, possibly in her ‘sixties, was more concerned about the fact that we lay persons were called ‘non-scientific members’. I don’t think she knew the meaning of lay, else she wouldn’t have insisted on being called one. Some wondered why Indian lives weren’t compensated in dollars. Were our human lives worth any less? That was a topic for a sub-debate. Who monitors/audits the committees themselves? A sub-sub-debate followed. The sponsoring company had its own point of view. And the arguments veered way away from the main subject every time and had to be dragged back by the moderators. The more I interact with the medical community, the more I find that there are as many very concerned practitioners as greedy unethical ones. Here, too, I was reassured by the reactions of those present that they wouldn’t let the bad eggs get away. Not an easy task in India. It’s easy to be cynical, difficult to fight the system, and these were fighting hard to make sure clinical trials were fair.
Now, armed with a little more information than before, am looking forward to more meetings, waiting to learn about what’s happening in the field, in the country, of a subject that’s excitingly new here.
@@@@@

No comments:

Post a Comment