Saturday 17 May 2014

An Exhibition and A Cup of Coffee.




(9 Nov ’08)
            I’ve never had a career. I started working at jobs pretty late in life and have been exposed to several industries: the print media, hotel and healthcare. Also, I’ve set up home in various parts of the country. As a result, I have a motley collection of acquaintances.
            Recently, I went for Anjali Purohit’s exhibition of paintings. I wasn’t really friends with her in school though we were in the same batch. It’s only a couple of years back that we bumped into each other again, and since she lives very close to my work place, we meet occasionally, have discovered common interests, and shared interesting conversations. She’s a lawyer-ex-bank-manager-turned artist. She’d actually given up her job to raise her son, but now that he’s in college, she has the time to express her creativity. The theme of her exhibition at Nehru Centre, Mumbai, was “Erasures”. It was a trip down nostalgia. I got to see the sights of my childhood: Irani restaurants and mills, mainly. A bit melancholy, but it held one’s attention, for it’s part of Mumbai’s history, recent and old, and being razed rapidly to give rise to monotonous, sky-blocking buildings. She’d invited me for an evening with some ‘good people’. A film maker, some journalists, a college principal, a printing press owner, and others. The talk revolved around what Mumbai no longer is. I’ve visited art exhibitions but never been part of the talk behind, around, about them, so this was a novel experience for me. Anjali belongs to the rare breed of women who makes everything at home: masalas, naanchni-biscuits, nothing is bought off the rack. Ah well, once upon a time, I did that, now looking back I wonder how…. So much simpler to encourage those talented housewives who sell puran-polis/chaklis/ladoos to earn some pocket money.
            Through Anjali, I met Rita, who is now an ‘email friend’. I have ‘road friends’ and ‘hospital friends’ and ‘market friends’ and ‘friends’ friends’, too. Rita confessed that we wouldn’t know how ‘deprived’ she was for human company and so we met over coffee at a little shop in the neighbourhood. That was another round of stimulating talk. From adoption to fashion to Chaatt Puja, we voiced our opinions over plenty of laughs.
            Now am looking forward to an evening with my classmates from school. One of them has made her annual trip to India from the US, and it’s time for us to get together with those who can make it.
            The nature of my job requires me to meet people, but that doesn’t culminate in friendships. These meetings, at home, over snacks and beverages (chai-coffee-limbu sherbet) help to forge relationships and stimulate the mind. One gets to know about Obama from the tv channels, but one can’t ask the screen questions. One can’t respond to an opinion as one can in a small, lively group. One gets to know different points of view and learns to accept them. One builds relationships in spite of conflicting ideologies. Provided one has opinions and ideologies, that is.
            I dislike the idea of having a statue/picture of a god in an office area. The staff working under me insisted and practically quarreled with me to have a Ganapati idol in one corner. I said it shouldn’t be more than two inches. They listened, but gave it a stool to sit on, and a canopy to cover it, and the whole thing comes to six inches now. It was installed with a small puja, and for many months each morning someone would enthusiastically put flowers on it. For Diwali, there was a small rangoli there. Now I’ve found that the interest has waned. The flowers were stale one day, the rangoli had smeared. My lectures on tidiness didn’t work. Then I threw a fit. If they couldn’t keep the place clean and tidy, the Ganapati would have to go. It worked. They’ve become more particular. So I have learnt to accept their point of view. In the name of religion they can keep a place in order. I now want to make friends with some holy man or woman (I’ve steadfastly stayed away from all such) to ask whether they could make a difference to the garbage situation in the country.
@@@@@



No comments:

Post a Comment