Sunday 29 June 2014

Shopping to Overcome Depression




(13 Mar ’10)
            I’m amongst the few people I know who do crisis-oriented shopping. Chappal-strap breaks, I take a taxi to the nearest footwear shop and buy a pair that fits. I’ve improved a bit. I buy a couple of pairs that fit, so it saves me shopping time when the next one breaks. I dislike shopping because it means I have to go in jostling crowds and noise. With the malls begin airconditioned and all that, one would expect shopping to be a good experience. They’re crowded, too. Besides, malls don’t keep the kind of footwear I wear. They want to force me to change my taste. No freedom of choice, me no go.
            In spite of not being a compulsive buyer, or a curio collector, in spite of recycling so many presents gifted to me with fond affection for Many Happy Returns or Congratulations, my house seems to fill up with things. Son, husband, daughter-in-law are collectors (respectively) of gadgets, tools and clothes and knick-knacks. There are things one can’t do anything with, for they have sentimental value.
            I have books and magazines I intend to read, clothes that are sitting on shelves waiting for an occasion to be worn at. Then there are pillows, sheets and cutlery waiting for guests to come and stay with us. There are expensive hand-me-downs which have been inherited from parents and in-laws. I use them. But everyone I know buys ‘the latest’ tools which do the same jobs. Ok, call me kanjoos, but I confess I’m shopping challenged and perfectly happy to use the same doorknobs, chairs, plates, pressure-cookers, scissors, whatever, as long they’re functioning well and don’t look terribly ugly. At the same time, am no fan of antiques. Just because a piece is old doesn’t mean it’s valuable, according to me.
            Recently I went to Panchgani (lovely place and the conference on Ethics and Values in Healthcare is something I will write about in another piece, another time). All my companions were interested in visiting the market to buy strawberry crush, sitaphul crush and some blue (rather delicious may I say) liquid made from sweet limes. Since I preferred to see the plateau and hike around for a bit, some kind souls bought and lugged the bottles for me. If at all I don’t mind shopping, it’s for food and drink. But I can’t think of buying gold from Dubai (one reason: no money) or glass from Poland (second reason: no money) or diamonds from Amsterdam (third reason: ok, you’ve guessed it.).
            My take on shopping is like this: if I own more clothes than closet space, all the chairs and tables in my house will be occupied. If I own curios, I’ll spend more time in dusting and cursing than writing and reading (horrors, what a nightmare). If I buy shampoos, jewelry, ‘novelty items’ that I don’t need, I would promptly give them away… what a waste of good money. So why buy?
            Bright and better qualified colleagues tell me the economy of a country depends on the consumer. So if honest-working, law-abiding, sincere tax-payers like me are sending India to her doom, mea culpa. 
            I know people who travel many kilometers to Consumer Shoppe or Handicraft Expos or whatever happens at Don-Bosco or Kala Academy grounds, laden with big bags, money, grandchildren, to ‘take a look’. At what? Latest masalas? Exotic underwear? Beyond me.
            Now people are doing so much research on shopping (buying was the old word), and selling (it’s called ‘retailing’ in case you weren’t aware). Earlier, people kept up with the Pintos and Pais. Now, no one knows whose keeping with whom, when, why and whether. Everyone’s out with debiting their credit cards to make themselves feel good. Doctors’ orders: I read so myself in this morning’s paper, that shopping is good for depression. Tricky use of the word good. Does it mean it nourishes depression or that it’s an antidote? I gathered from the article that the latter is true. So would psychiatrists get out of business? Or would they shake hands and sign contracts with the big mall owners to count foot-falls?
Once it comes to health… we could have you know, health-saloons where you could buy some tests like, you know, fasting blood sugar and creatine or measure your, you know, I mean … blood-pressure or Bone Marrow Density. Once the doctor and the media say shopping ‘cures’ stress, who’m I to argue with that?
The higher the bill, the lower your cholesterol or adrenalin or endomorphins, antigens.. something…. whatever it is that will make you not-depressed. Happy aamdani athannee kharcha rupaiyya.
@@@@@

No comments:

Post a Comment