Wednesday 11 June 2014

Badly Behaved Indians vs Good Indians.



(27 Sept 09)
            I have come to the conclusion that well-behaved, decent, good, middle-class Indian’s like me don’t have a spine. Ashamed to admit, I’m included. And am seething within. We never strongly protest if someone’s throwing his weight around. If at all we do, not a soul will support us. If we object to someone dirtying a public place, we ourselves would be ridiculed. I’ve been guilty of silence myself when I’ve seen someone do the correct thing, and then regretting that non-support later on. Why is it that the bad guys are feared? Why is it an unspoken rule that the rude ones get whatever they want and the soft, gentle ones lump whatever they get? It’s peculiar to India. I’m not very well traveled abroad, but I haven’t seen this bad-get-their way attitude in Dubai-Muscat-England-Poland, and friends/relatives tell me other countries, too, don’t have this strange system. Let me tell you about two very recent incidents.
            On Saturday, Rose Day, there was a function for little children who suffer from cancer. It’s an annual thing that I don’t miss. Children perform tuneless songs and graceless dances which I enjoy very much. In the past, Shabana Azmi, Aamir Khan have mingled with the little ones, and made it clear to the organizers, I was told, that they didn’t want the Press, that they’d prefer it to be a private affair with the patients. They treated the patients like little VIPs. Always a tidy, well-timed evening, a few well-chosen eats at the end, a cute memento and tons of memories to carry back. This time, the ‘chief guest’ was Salman Khan.  Photographers from The Media had been hovering around for a while. The children enjoyed their silliness, but were keen on the arrival of the film-star. The glamour, the attraction, is quite normal, was to be expected from the junta, specially such very sick ones who have practically nothing exciting or happy happening in their chemo-controlled lives. Then, way beyond the scheduled time, the hero arrived. The photographers grabbed the space, there was jostling and shoving and the fragile kids were in the background. Some of us made way, or at least tried to, to help the enthusiastic young ones get near their dream of the evening. Some of the photographers, to their credit, did kneel and decide to be decent. Suddenly, one of the adults, who was once a patient herself, lost her temper. She had a powerful voice, a powerful personality, and she woke many of us from our what-to-do-now-ness. She insisted that the cameramen leave if they couldn’t behave. Unexpectedly, two cameramen retaliated. One of them was downright Rude. When she explained that she was a cancer survivor, he barked, So What! He had an invitation, and that’s why he was present. A dirty scene followed, ending short of fisticuffs, a sad end to what should have been a precious evening.
            I wonder: does The Press that prides itself on moral superiority have any code of behaviour? Does being an invitee mean one can break rules of decency?
            Example number two: a female patient, after surgery was admitted to the ICU. Before the surgery, she was in a certain bed. In a country like India, where there is a perpetual shortage of good medical facilities, such beds are scarce and there’s always a patient waiting for a vacancy. The patient’s daughter, NRI and obviously wealthy, didn’t give a damn. She practically abused the staff who even suggested that the bed was needed for another sick person. Ah yes, this habit of abusing the staff calls for an entire article by itself. Through both these incidents, I spoke up, but felt helpless that I couldn’t really do much to change the system. And as I write this, in the tea time of my life, I wonder what I can do to improve things at least around me. I’m not into the be gentle and forgive them all philosophy because time and again I find the winners are the strong, ruthless ones. About readying oneself for heaven and all of that… will find out after we’re dead what exists and what doesn’t.
            Thinking won’t help and neither will writing. I need to take up dumb-bells, learn the martial arts and perhaps plunge into politics. And encourage others of my ilk to do the same. That’s the only thing that will help.
@@@@@

No comments:

Post a Comment