Sunday 26 October 2014

Three Anti Opinions




(29 Aug ’10)
           In the locality I live in, in Mumbai, I’m sort of sandwiched between the headquarters of Shiv Sena on one side and the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena on the other. Friends from upmarket areas like Powai feel it’s some sort of a ‘backward’ area. I gave it thought: if I lived in any of the high-funda skyscrapers, I wouldn’t have been able to move around in a synthetic, glittery-shiny mass-Surat-produced, deejhayner sari. Here, I can wear my jeans, my neighbour can flaunt her ghunghat, or nine yards or burkha, and it’s ok. Firstly, wearing short tops or skirts doesn’t make you a progressive thinker, and neither does living in my neighbourhood make one a Hindu horror. There are plenty of moderate, mild, balanced people around here without vitriolic opinions about any caste or creed. Indeed, one of the things I love to write about is 6 Dec, Ambedkar’s punyatithee, when lakhs of dalits from all over the country converge to this park. It’s a sign of fourth-generation urban hospitality that they go back pleasantly surprised at the smoothness of their stay. None of the newer neighbourhoods would be able to manage that. This is one place where one can loudly say we need to rid ourselves of non-Maharashtrian people… and the very next day, the non-Maharashtrians get a chance to declare that this is their homeland, has been so for the past four generations. Where a Gulf-rich neighbour said: I could have a bigger car, but it would look out of place here. Talk of sensitivity…We’re pretty much tolerant of even the intolerant here.

            Another anti-opinion: schools in India must be doing something right. The Olympiads, for physics, chemistry, maths and biology have thrown up world champions year after year from India. Not from the fancy city schools, but from government vidyalayas and private ones with names like “Jai Hind Higher Secondary School”. Since my son studied in schools where the fees were barely Rs 15 for a term, in several states in the country, I can speak from some experience. In Rajasthan, I was possibly the only literate mom of my son’s class. In Goa, too, he studied in the T B Cunha HS school. Products of these schools don’t have the impression that ‘they know it all’ and that those who ‘don’t belong’ are in any way inferior. So also, whilst we must take in the good from the West, we aughtn’t to throw away all our processes. Learning by rote has its advantages: vocabulary, dictation, spellings, tables, colours. Rote has its limitations, but one can’t or shouldn’t do without it. I’m told by those who’ve lived abroad, that they appreciate the discipline that our children display. I recommend ‘A Road Less Travelled’ for those who believe that discipline is not required. In the long run, good habits taught in time help a person, a community and a nation. Even small things matter: calling an elder by the first name isn’t part of our culture. A mark of respect is appreciated the world over. Our schools do teach that. If we have so many Indians making their mark across the planet, we have several invisible, unsung teachers to thank for that.

            A third: my job requires me to work with the disabled. I know it’s politically incorrect to say anything but ‘special’ child, but blind is blind, deaf is deaf, and all of those need extra care, extra effort, extra everything…. From Normal people. Parents and family of course, but teachers, bus conductors, everyone. Seldom do I hear any of the differently abled persons or their families thanking those that are reaching out to them, spending a lot of time and energy to make their lives easier and as close to normal as possible: doctors, nurses, technicians, wardboys, educators, friends, relatives, strangers who donate money….. I have many instances of people who walk into my office to donate a part of their salary for a deserving patient. Rarely has a patient come to thank the anonymous benefactor or even track him/her. Sad.  It’s important to fight for one’s rights. It’s also important to recognize timely help and show gratitude. It’s not demeaning.

            Fourth: my favourite: we blame the government and the municipality for things we don’t do for ourselves. On this … some other time.
@@@@

No comments:

Post a Comment